PAL FAQs for Instructors
What tasks will a PAL Leader perform (times are guidelines and will vary)?
- Facilitate PAL group sessions with activities that focus on class content (2-3 hrs/wk)
- Prepare for the PAL group sessions (1-3 hrs/wk)
- Consult with the instructor - phone, web-conference, in-person, or email (1-2 hrs/wk)
- Attend the class/class lab - on-ground, Zoom meetings, Canvas (0.5-1 hr/wk)
What is required of a PAL Instructor?
- Connect with the PAL Leader on a weekly basis - phone, web-conference, in-person, or email
- Provide handouts and/or other supplemental materials for the course
- Help guide the development of activities that support course concepts
- Sign/approve the Leader’s monthly timesheet certifying the hours worked during each pay period
- Provide additional support and/or supervision to PAL Leader as needed
What are the characteristics of a great PAL Leader?
- Have earned an A or B in the course (or a higher-level course) to facilitate
- Have an overall GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Be enrolled in a minimum of six units within Los Rios Community Colleges (to be paid)
- Have good communication and interpersonal skills
- Enjoys helping other students
- Demonstrate sensitivity and respect towards diverse backgrounds of other students
- Be recommended by the instructor of the class
Do you have students who meet these characteristics?
- Please complete the online recommendation form for each student referral.
- Remember not all applicants will be hired. Thus, applicants cannot start working before receiving a start date from the Tutorial Services Assistant or the PAL Coordinator.
- Also, share the PAL Leader Application with each student recommended.
What is next for applicants offered a PAL Leader position?
- Not all applicants will be hired; yet applicants and instructors will be informed of the hiring status by the PAL Coordinator usually by the second week of the semester
- Applicants are hired based upon the needs of the college, department, and class
- May be hired as paid or volunteer PAL Leaders
- Paid PAL Leaders earn the current minimum wage
- Hired applicants are to enroll in LTAT 311, Introduction to Peer Group Tutoring (1-unit, asynchronous, online class) during or before the semester hired
PAL Program Coordinator
Loretta Richard, M.S.
Learning Resource Center, LRC 151
3835 Freeport Boulevard
Sacramento, CA 95822