A pre-semester checklist for online courses, and on-site courses with a presence on Canvas.
- ▢ Course Home Page
- ▢ Orientation Module
- Instructor bio or introduction
- Expectations for the first week of class
- Required Course Materials
- Course Policies and Grading
- Zoom Information for synchronous class meeting times and/or office hours
- Information on how to get help in the course and at SCC
- Student support services
- Tech support
- Diversity and Inclusion Statement
- Online Lab Waiver (needs to be completed by every student)
- ▢ Instructional Modules (if relevant)
Try to have the first 3 or 4 instructional modules created before the semester begins.
- Overview of learning outcomes and objectives of the modules
- Canvas pages that include accessible learning materials
- Formative Assessments using Canvas Quizzes
- Summative Assessments using Canvas Assignments and/or Canvas Discussion Boards
- Summary of the module’s activities, achievements, assessments
- Link to additional learning materials on the subject
- Try to have the first 3 or 4 instructional modules created before the semester begins.
- ▢ Select the Student View button on the course home page
Confirm that your course works well for students.
- ▢ Publish Your Course
You’re ready to begin!
Highly Recommended Additions
- ▢ Welcome Video
- ▢ Profile Picture
- ▢ Discussion Board for Introductions
- ▢ Weekly Announcements
Made in advance with delayed-release, to let students know what they need to do that week
- Week overview
- Tasks/To-do list
- Encouraging words
- Other course news:
- feedback on assessments
- grades posted
- upcoming exam/paper