Tables are used on web pages to display data, much like a spreadsheet.
The tables consist of rows and columns of interrelated data. If well-formatted, they make complex information easily accessible to all users.
Guidelines for Table Accessibility
- Tables should have captions that briefly summarize the table content.
- Use tables in digital pages solely for data, rather than as a layout technique.
- Table cells which contain color distinctions that indicate different meanings should also contain textual distinctions.
- Table cells which contain only images must have alternative text describing the images (see Image Accessibility).
- Identify your row or column headings.